write on the train?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:54:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 07:35 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade
> <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
>         An answer for a question from IRC:
>
>         18:18 < subdivisions> hey all... anyone here know the best way
>         to do editing/authoring
>                              offline?  I have approx 2.5 hours a day
>         on the train and I can't
>                              really get a cell signal.
>         18:18 < subdivisions> I can cut-andpaste from and back to the
>         wiwki, but that seems a bit
>                              crude.
>
>         Keith, let me introduce you to DocBook XML.
>
>         http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Tools#DocBook_XML
>         http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/WorkFlow#Wiki_to_DocBook_XML
>
>         What you need for the train is the following:
>
>         * Checkout one or more guides to work on:
>          Installation Guide
>          Software Management Guide
>          Security Guide (needs conversion)
>          or ...
>         * Obtain XML output from the wiki ready for conversion
>         * Check out the build system/toolchain for Fedora Docs, and/or
>         * Install 'publican' (candidate for inclusion in toolchain)
>         * Optional virtualization instance to do install testing or
>         other
>         technical edits/writing
>
>         You have everything you need in a Fedora install with the
>         "Authoring and
>         Publishing" group installed.
>
>         While you are offline, keep notes about any troubles you
>         have.  Maybe
>         write them as a blog entry to post when you get to your
>         destination.
>         Writing about your learning process and experience as a new
>         contributor
>         could bring some value and definitely interest.
>
>         Just a few ideas off the top of my head. :)
>
>         - Karsten
>         --
>
> Another suggestion to add to this conversation is to consider the fact
> that internet access is unavailable.  In this case, committing changes
> back to cvs is impossible
> because of its centralized nature, in comes git.  With git-cvsimport
> you can save your changes in a repository, and commit as much as
> necessary and are able to retain
> your history.  Once back to the more civilized world, one can do a git
> rebase --interactive, squash all of the commits to one (making a nice
> log message) and run
> git-cvsexportcommit after creating a patch and setting some variables.
>
> Here's a good resource on how one might use git to keep revision
> history and allowing simple roll-back
>
> http://issaris.blogspot.com/2005/11/cvs-to-git-and-back.html

git has pretty much become the de facto standard for new projects in and
around Fedora.  I don't think it's a stretch to say this is going to be
the next $SCM, although I have no opinion (or insight) about it in any
official way.  Thanks for this really helpful information on how to use
what little I've learned of git and apply it to our decrepit^Wtrusty ol'
CVS. :-)