release notes rpm to release engineering

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 01:40:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:40:24PM +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 15:35 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> >  > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > I didn't do [subject] last time. What is the procedure for this? Do
> >  > you just checkin the .srpm and .spec files to CVS?
> >  >
> >  > Thanks for your help,
> >  >
> >  > Murray.
> >
> >  I wrote this up yesterday in a few spare minutes between housecleaning
> >  and company arriving:
> >
> >  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/Drafts/ReleaseNotesHowto
> >
> >  Please read -- and more importantly, tell me what's not clear so I can
> >  make it better.
>
> Thanks for writing that up. I have a few questions:
>
> * "For Fedora 9, the version numbers 9, 9.0, 9.0.0, 9.0.1, and so on,
> are all acceptable." - I thought I saw you putting 8.92 into
> something...is that still okay? At the moment the spec file has 8.92

That's right - I was using 8.92 for Beta.  Once the PO file have come in
-- since I always forget to it before I make the POT :-) -- I'll change
the .spec file and the rpm-info.xml file to reflect 9.0.0 instead.

> * In the "Building" section, "You can then carry the .src.rpm file to
> the Fedora Package CVS, in the fedora-release-notes/devel module, and
> run cvs-import.sh <SRPM_FILE> to update everything automatically.".
> Where is the "cvs-import" script, and will running "cvs-import" carry
> the source RPM, do do I use cvs import for that?

The cvs-import.sh script is in the common files for Fedora Packages CVS
-- it's not part of our build toolchain at all.  You just run it against
the .src.rpm and it does all the heavy lifting.  This part I will
probably handle this time, since I already have package maintainership
there.  (And in fact that's the one part of the responsibility I'd like
to maintain, although I'm happy to have a co-maintainer.)

Since people doing package-monkey duties need to have a better
familiarity with the software maintenance policies, etc., I'd recommend
that you try maintaining a small package yourself before taking this
part on.  I just wanted to make sure it was documented for posterity.
Thanks for calling this part out for notice!

> * "make tag build" - is this all I have to do?

This is part of the package maintenance, but yes.  You can read more at
the Packaging pages:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging

> * Once translation is complete, do I only need to run "make release-srpm"?

Correct.

> Apologies for not understanding this.

None needed, thanks for helping and learning!