self-introduction: Deon Lackey

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:03:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 15:30 -0500, Ella Deon Lackey wrote:
> Hi.

Hi Deon!

> I'm new to the Fedora Project (despite having used Fedora or Red Hat
> for a few years), but I do have a lot of experience with two other
> Fedora Projects, Fedora Directory Server and Dogtag Certificate
> System(check them out at directory.fedoraproject.org and
> pki.fedoraproject.org). I think I could help out with the SELinux and
> RPM documentation on the task list, and I'm good for bug fixing and
> formatting changes.
>
> I have basically no real programming experience; I'm what I call a
> "practical user" of RHEL 4 and Fedora 8, meaning I poke around to
> install and configure things and use it for regular business, but I'm
> not adventurous about scripting things. I also have a lot of
> experience with wikis, static web design (HTML and CSS), very limited
> graphic design skills, and years of experience with DocBook XML and,
> to a lesser extent, XSLT. For two years, I was a newspaper reporter,
> so I also have experience writing articles and press releases,
> researching, conducting interviews, copyediting, and biting my tongue.

Ha, sense of humor definitely helps!  And your other skills will serve
you well around here.  We still maintain quite a bit of DocBook XML
here, not the least of which is the Release Notes, the Installation
Guide, and I think we have a RPM Guide in those boxes over in the
corner.  We are trying out the concept of moving these docs to Fedora
Hosted as individual projects, and maintaining them there.

> I have no idea if I'm an excellent match for the project, although I
> hope I have something to offer. I think there is a lot I can learn
> here.

We're overjoyed to have you -- please join us in IRC Freenode at
#fedora-docs.  Many people there can offer advice on how you can
maintain a presence there even while you're offline if you don't do that
already.

--
Paul W. Frields