renaming DocsProject => Docs_Project

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 17:28:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 20:10 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 06:03:29PM -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> > Today I am embracing both the moniker "Docs"[1] and the new naming
> > scheme for the wiki.  The time has come to rename all of the DocsProject
> > project space to come in line with the new naming conventions.  This way
> > we'll be a reference implementation before we start asking others to do
> > the same.

> > I'm commencing immediately, unless anyone stops me. ;-D
> >
> /me nods and salutes
> Aye aye! Editors aweigh!

So we talked for a while longer last night ...

The concern is, we want to model the best behavior in our page renaming.

For MW, that really is removing the nesting and putting things in
categories.

There is still lingering concern (from me) that finding content that is
contributor focused is going to be confusing for end-users.  One
solution is to make sure that the title makes it clear:

Joining_the_Docs_Project instead of Docs_Project/Join.

The natural language is easier to translate, etc.

So, although we approved using a single nesting for projects/SIGs, what
practice does _our_ project want to follow?

It seems that we do want to do a full rename to a flat structure with
good categories.

One way I thought of this was to create a CSV file with "from","to"
fields.  The first has the old name, the second has the new name, and
wikibot can use that to rename, relink, and add to Category:Docs Project
automagically.

To do that, I am going to write up an initial CSV file and (try) hosting
it from a git repo on fedorapeople.org, so others can easily contribute.
We could instead use the {{move}} template, but that would require a lot
of hitting of pages.

Need to hear from Nigel that the CSV file will be useful.  Even if it is
not, it would be useful for us to look at all of our renaming in one
pass, to get it as consistent as possible.

Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41