Self-Introduction: Basil Mohamed Gohar

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Dec 11 04:59:25 UTC 2008

Greetings, Fedora Documentation list!  My name is Basil Mohamed Gohar,
and I'm keen to join the Fedora Documentation project per encouragement
from Karsten Wade.  What follows, hopefully, fulfills the requirements
of the Self-Introduction for joining the group, but should also give you
a bit of an idea of me.

I am a graduate of The Ohio State University with a bachelors degree in
Electrical & Computer Engineering (it's only one major despite covering
two subjects), class of the Summer of 2004.  I currently work as a web
developer for a small consulting firm in Columbus, Ohio whose primary
business relates to virtual schooling, including homeschooling & charter
school programs.

My personal experience with Fedora started with Fedora Core 5, when I
installed it on my computer just to play & explore a GNU/Linux operating
system.  Though I'd been a support of free software since I understood
what it was, I had not yet been ready to take the plunge & commit myself
to it.  That experience changed it for me, and by the time Fedora Core 6
was released, I had switched to using it as my main system.  Prior to
using Fedora, though, I had been using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 & 4 on
two servers that I leased for hosting my own web sites since 2004 &
2005, respectively, so I grew familiar with a command-line *nix
environment through managing those servers.  I am what some would call a
free software fundamentalist, because I believe free software is
fundamentally better due to the principle that is free as in freedom.

I have had some experience writing documentation for projects & programs
before, but nothing as large-scale as Fedora.  I am a native speaker of
the English language, having been born & raised in the US my whole life.
I tend to be picky about grammar where I notice a mistake, and I am
pedantic when it comes to ensuring what has been stated is factually
correct.  I consider myself to be verbose, but clear, when I write, but
that is a judgment best left for others.  ;)  I have done a little
documentation work for the Fedora Unity project, but that stalled when I
had to move on to other projects at that time.

I have been using computers since I was very young, as there has always
been a computer of some kind available in our homes.  Being a developer,
I suppose that I am an "expert" computer using on most platforms, with
the exception of Mac OS, as I do not own any Apple hardware.

As I mentioned earlier, I am a web developer by trade & hobby.  I work
primarily with PHP & MySQL.  I would describe myself as a PHP guru, but
I wouldn't disagree if others claimed I was.  ;)  I have been
programming for over 6 years, having taught myself PHP after learning
basic Perl to parse HTML tables to convert them to Microsoft Excel
documents (yuck!).  I was also encouraged by my desire to write my own
website code for listing files for people to download.

I feel I am an excellent match for the Fedora Documentation project
because I believe that free software is fundamentally superior, I
communicate well, and I want to contribute to something that will
benefit people & make free software easier for people to use by having
quality resources available to them.

My GPG fingerprint follows:

pub   1024D/25DB6E43 2008-12-11
      Key fingerprint = 29B4 52ED 2335 1948 652A  22BB 873C DA6A 25DB 6E43
uid                  Basil Mohamed Gohar (Basil's GPG key) <abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org>
sub   2048g/7B467FE6 2008-12-11

I look forward to contributing more in the future, and I will follow-up
with an idea I had which is what encouraged Karsten to prompt me to
officially join the project in the first place.

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com