Getting Involved Guide

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 07:57:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 08:18 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> I both agree and disagree I think the docs as a whole should provide
> sufficient documentation to take someone who is relatively new to Linux,
> note I didn't say computers, and provide them with knowledge along the
> way to get to that contributor state.  I think that while the
> contributor documentation is important for the longer term health of the
> project it is no less important than the start either.

I don't think Paul is proposing that we *drop* end-user content, but
that we add writing and maintaining contributor content, put up as at
least the same level of priority.

We already have more end-user content to maintain than active Docs
contributors can handle.  Unless we find a way to grow this project,
we'll end up dropping some of that content (again.)

It is satisfying to help one or a handful of users to accomplish
something important.  It is equally satisfying, and arguably more
important, to teach one or more people how to get involved and become
part of the solution.

It's the old, "Give them fish and you feed them for a day, teach them
how to fish for themselves and you feed them for a lifetime."

> The next step is the contributor documentation which is mainly
> consolidating the information that's already around.

My recommendation here is guide rather than consolidate -- point to
where the content exists, which is often maintained by the sub-project
itself.

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41