one summary to rule them all

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 25 10:07:41 UTC 2008

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hey,

>>> Ummm...what's the difference between these two anyway? Is it possible to
>>> put an end to one of them?
>> The OverView is the one that appears in the release notes.
>>
>> But you have hit the proverbial nail; we want to make them the same
>> thing, really, to reduce work and increase consistency.
>
> OK, I've just taken a quick look at this and it seems like the content
> in each of these is actually quite different :S While they're covering
> the same material, the ReleaseSummary has got more images etc, along
> with longer descriptions and more links. If you were wanting to use one
> source for the Release Notes as well, would the images and extra links
> need stripping out?

As the person behind both of these documents, let me note that release
notes overview was meant to be more technical while the release summary
was born out of an earlier effort to do press releases via the
community. Also due to general lack of contributions (even though
Jonathan Roberts and others did help for Fedora 8), the time taken to
write a proper release summary was almost an entire night last time and
that too way later than the release notes string freeze.

We need to decide whether the overview in release notes can be the kind
of content that release summary currently is. If that is preferred, let
me know and I will do that from Fedora 9 onwards. I wouldn't mind more
people helping out either.

Rahul