DUG + AdminGuide release, update

Vladimir Kosovac vnk at mkc.co.nz
Fri Jan 25 21:19:35 UTC 2008

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 11:03 +1300, Vladimir Kosovac wrote:
>
>> 1] DUG looks good[1] (GNOME)
>
>> [1] - ready for wordsmithing / format fixing
>
> Do you have a target for receiving these edits?

Target was set to beginning of March minus 10 days made up of 5 days
edit + 5 days XML conversion. The assumption here is that the content is
accurate enough and that it won't need major changes.

However, lot of missing/bad content went into both DUG and AG last week,
so I think the target above was conservative. This should give us at
least one more week for even major fixes, if required.

> Let's put together a draft (strawman) schedule for these guides; John
> will put it up against the rest of our schedule[1].

As it looks, the schedule is now probably needed for editors only:

1] Marc [DUG] and I [AG] are doing pretty much all of the writing ATM
and have a pretty good handle of what's left

2] there is enough '''edit-ready''' content to start the editing effort now
> I can start on both of those this weekend; having a target schedule
> helps me prioritize and split the work with other editors.
>
> Anyone who wants to learn more about how we like to edit should watch
> those pages.  In the wiki, go to Preferences, at the bottom in the
> Watched pages use a regular expression to cover the whole namespace:
>
> Docs/Drafts/AGBeta.*

Would this track macroed inludes, too? Most sections are actually in
Docs/Drafts/AG.

> For formatting fixes, we'll look for ways to slam across them with the
> powers of Emacs/Vi and the wonders of regexp search and replace. :)
> I've seen a few that I've let go in the interest of not breaking the
> awesome flow that has been happening.  Easy enough to re-habit for the
> next round. :)

The last two sections I've signed off (NTP server and IPtables in the
AG) are, I think, better formatting wise than those done earlier. I'd be
interested to find out whether this cuts the time spent on edit part and
if so, how much.

*betterer than federer*, Vladimir