jEdit

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jan 2 02:45:12 UTC 2008

Murray McAllister wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 8:52 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>     I got jEdit working in a terminal but it doesn't work. If I use $
>> jedit file1 it comes up and a panel that does nothing comes up in the
>> way. I tried to make a file and have tried Control-s to save it and it
>> does not work.
>>
>>     The instructions seem not to be for a Linux Terminal. Does anyone
>> here know how to use jEdit?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Hey Karl,
>
> I'm very excited about jEdit, it has some amazing plug-ins. I'm not
> sure how you installed jedit, but this is what I did (to make sure we
> are sort of doing the same thing):
>
> 1. Downloaded the java installer for the stable release:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jedit/jedit42install.jar
> 2. Installed using "sudo java -jar jedit42install.jar"
> 3. Create a customer application launcher, with the command "jedit"
>
> When "jedit" from the command line it launches correctly. I am not
> sure what you mean by the panel, is it possible to provide a
> screenshot?
> When I run "jedit testing" it launches with a empty, new file named "testing".
>
> One thing I could think of that would cause you problems if you do not
> have java installed. On red hat enterprise linux I needed the
> java-1.5.0-sun package to be installed.
>
> If you can provide more details/screenshot I am sure someone will be
> able to help. Once you get going, I suggest you install the XInsert,
> XML, ErrorList, BufferList, SpellCheck, SideKick, and Console plugins
> (Go to Plugins- > PluginManager, select the install tab, and tick the
> ones you want. Make sure you are connected to the internet at this
> point...). To arrange these on your screen: Utilities -> Global
> Options. Select docking, then use the drop down list to select where
> you want each plug-in. Alternatively you can access them through the
> Plugins menu item.
>
> Let me know if you need any extra help, also posting the output of
> "rpm -qa | grep java" would be handy...
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Murray.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pub   1024D/81B3FDEB 2007-09-19 [expires: 2008-09-18]
> Key fingerprint = 4ED9 9907 5BF0 4132 2B46  20D1 C0C6 362D 81B3 FDEB
> Murray McAllister (Fedora Docs Project / mdious) <murray.mcallister at gmail.com>
> sub   2048g/B04CFA0C 2007-09-19 [expires: 2008-09-18]

    Your right Murray and I will include a screen shot. That will help.
And the way it seems to work is in a Terminal you type $ jedit filename
and it then lets you type in what you want. But I see no panels where
you can hit save file. I found where they say Control-s will save but it
doesn't for me.

Thus my problems.

Karl

--