Selinux guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 23:06:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 06:32 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 14:23 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Using this sort of objective-based criterion, you can figure out what
> > skills you need to cover, and usually in what order, to make a guide
> > work, even if you have to condense information from a lot of different
> > sources.  Once you have a general organization like this, you can have
> > it influence your outline for the doc.  Hope this helps.
>
> It does help a lot thanks for the feedback.  Should we take the FAQ and
> amalgamate it into this guide, it will use information from the FAQ
> anyway.  What is left over can be created as a FAQ of this guide?

My personal feeling is that the FAQ was great and indispensable when it
was created, back around FC3 when we were still trying to rally people
around all it could do.  Plus, I think Karsten cut off a huge chunk of
time (of which he was already short) to put this together with some
other Red Hat principals like Dan, because he saw it was necessary to
get the info some publicity.

I think those who are not sold on it at this point are sticking their
heads in the sand and you should probably graduate this to doing a real
guide. :-)  As we've already noted, the material that's in the FAQ is
still 75-90% very applicable because of its general nature.  In some
cases the tools are more robust, and guidance needs to be added or
amended (like setroubleshoot/sealert or system-config-selinux).

One thing I hear often from people is "How do I interpret this AVC
message?  How do I know what to do about it?"  I'm sure there are others
you can pick up on fedoraforum.org, and use them to feed the use cases,
and thus the supporting outline material I alluded to earlier.  It's
great that you're interested in doing this work -- it will probably be
read by thousands, SERIOUSLY! :-)

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/