SELinux in guides [was: Self-Introduction: Eric Christensen]

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Tue Jan 8 23:33:04 UTC 2008

> Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> The best standard for this, which we declare for other guides, is to do
>>> a completely default installation of Fedora and work from that.  The
>>> default SELinux mode is Enforcing the targeted policy.  I find it
>>> useful
>>> to do testing in a VM since it means I don't have to monkey with my
>>> actual system configuration -- and in any case that would be a bad idea
>>> since it's sometimes difficult to predict how the changes one has
>>> already made would affect testing results.
>>>

>> What do you use as a VM.  I tried VMWare and I don't really like it I'm
>> not to sure what else is out there.  Also are there any docs to install
>> the VM if you use a different kind?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Marc
>>

>     As just a user when I got to F7 I was Attacked by SElinux :-)
> I wrote to the Fedora list my problems and found I was not alone. A
> whole lot of F7 users deleted SElinux. Then on to F8 and I decided to
> try it again and set it up full power and have had zero problems :-P
>
>     It is there to protect from bad things but never do I see or hear
> from it. I think the developers got it right.
>
> Karl

I definitely agree with you there.  The challenges show up when you try to
create a samba share in your home directory, try to create a home
public_html directory and a few other bits and pieces.

The main gripe's can be fixed with the programs built into Fedora.  I
still get SELinux popping up for Java and a few other programs but thats
because of text/fonts and also with flash (online games for my son)

I do think however that it is a brilliant set up and a lot of the times a
touch /.autorelabel or whatever it is fixes it. Other options are
restorecon -r -v /directory fixes it.

Cheers,

Marc