Please update Spanish Fedora Documentation and create central spanish forums!

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 04:03:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 00:01 -0200, Marcelo Martínez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Marcelo from Uruguay.

Hi Marcelo!

> The spanish Fedora users needs Updated spanish documentation.
>
> The documentation in spanish is out of date, and we need easy access
> to the documentation.
>
> When I visit fedoraproject.org the web is in spanish, (great!!) but
> when i navigate others web sections see are in "English", for example
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ (and every subsections there, including
> docs, of course)

Yes, the translation of documents is entirely dependent on our volunteer
translators.  When a volunteer has time and energy to devote to it, we
try to publish their work as quickly as possible.  (We're also
volunteers.) :-)

> I think Red Hat is a worldwide linux leader and must give more
> resources to fedora, the documentation is very important and in fedora
> is poor.

I'm sorry to hear you don't think highly of our documentation.  We have
a very small volunteer staff and work hard in our spare time to do all
we can.  Although I've just recently been hired by Red Hat, I've been a
volunteer in Documentation for the past 4 years, and helped write some
of the things you see on our web site.  However, I don't have any
Spanish skills and can't translate them!

> My English is basic and not good to make spanish translations of the
> documentation, but Red Hat can paid traductors.

Unfortunately, that's a model that doesn't scale well.  What happens if
Red Hat wants to spend money on other programs?  Instead, the Fedora
Project is all about *growing community* to accomplish these and other
goals.  By encouraging people to get involved, to help push the
boundaries of free and open source software, to multiply the kind of
services and systems it can provide, we "grow our own" resources.  By
encouraging, teaching, and helping others, we become our own best means
of support.

There is in fact a Spanish translation community -- you should visit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N for more information.  You don't have
to do entire translations yourself, but from reading your email, I can
tell that you have enough English skills to help the team.  Every little
bit counts!  The Spanish translation list for Fedora is located at:

It's obvious that Fedora and free and open source software matter to you
-- we would love for you to get involved and help us bring better
Spanish language support to everyone.

> Another reclaim is about the forums...  There is not central spanish
> forums for fedora, I think fedoraforums.org must create a "spanish
> section" or create a new forum for centralize all spanish questions
> and projects, like ubuntuforums loco teams subforums.

Unfortunately, we don't handle those forums, but you can use the links
at that site to get in touch with their administrator staff if you have
questions or issues.

> Sorry if you don't understand my bad English but I speak Spanish.-

Actually, it was not hard at all to understand you.  Good luck and I
hope you get involved!

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/