Get Involved Guide

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 07:51:52 UTC 2008

Note:  Subject changed from what must have been a typo. :)

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 13:39 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> THE PUNCHLINE:  For its size, the Docs Project has done great things
> thanks to the energy and generosity of its members.  But in the post-F9
> era, we need to get off the treadmill of simple user/admin
> documentation, which is duplicated many times over in both the free and
> for-pay spheres, and move to goals that are more contributor-oriented.

Flying back from Raleigh, I did a bit more work on the diagram that I
was pushing around on the back of a napkin whilst we discussed the
Fedora GIG.

What we've been doing all along:

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-Docs/Docs-role-current.png

Where we need to go if we want to make a bigger impact on Fedora:

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-Docs/Docs-role-future.png

I'll respond to Marc's email because I think he raises some appropriate
points to address.

My summary is simple:

* Docs is a natural leader in helping to improve the formal project
documentation, such as maintaining a Get Involved Guide that points to
myriad locations (wiki, account system, various VCS, etc.)

* We can also keep our eye on the more informal contributor-oriented
content, because this is a good thing that helps us maintain the GIG.

* We want to keep away from informal, end-user focused content.  As Paul
says, end-user-focused content is very common and hard to compete
against.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to produce useful end-user
content.  It simply means that we have to have a reason to exist as a
project outside of just producing yet another set of Fedora how-to docs.

* What we have that is unique is an inside view and understanding of how
to contribute to Fedora.  Sharing this knowledge is potentially much
more valuable than sharing "How to do Foo."

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41