Get Involved Guide

Vladimir Kosovac vnk at mkc.co.nz
Tue Jan 22 22:56:50 UTC 2008

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> Note:  Subject changed from what must have been a typo. :)
>

> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 13:39 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>> THE PUNCHLINE:  For its size, the Docs Project has done great things
>> thanks to the energy and generosity of its members.  But in the post-F9
>> era, we need to get off the treadmill of simple user/admin
>> documentation, which is duplicated many times over in both the free and
>> for-pay spheres, and move to goals that are more contributor-oriented.

<snip>

> * We want to keep away from informal, end-user focused content.  As Paul
> says, end-user-focused content is very common and hard to compete
> against.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to produce useful end-user
> content.
It simply means that we have to have a reason to exist as a
> project outside of just producing yet another set of Fedora how-to docs.
>
> * What we have that is unique is an inside view and understanding of how
> to contribute to Fedora.  Sharing this knowledge is potentially much
> more valuable than sharing "How to do Foo."

It's funny and educational how things pan out from (or within) healthy
projects with unintentionally accurate timing.

I guess the expectations of what is DocsProject supposed to produce are
bi-fold. People external to Fedora would mostly expect to find the
guidelines for installing and using Fedora distribution.

This type of documentation is finally shaping up as complete and will be
in the form that is not too difficult to maintain across release cycles,
starting with f9.

We, who chose to do Fedora, on the other hand, are here with entirely
different set of expectations. Thanks for reminding us about that and
raising the bar.

Vladimir