one summary to rule them all

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 18:58:07 UTC 2008

We've struggled for the last several releases with multiple release
summaries and overviews, keeping them in sync, and so forth.

Last release, Paul and I swore we would find a way to provide a single,
canonical source for *all* of these.

Today I noticed yet another release summary in the wild that needs
taming, inclusion, or something:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy#Enhancements

A release summary is referred to there that can be added to by anyone.
*sigh*

Do we want to invite those people to instead add their enhancements to
canonical summary?  Then cross-link back in to that namespace?

We can use clever [[Include()]] statements that draw only specific
parts, so each 'mirror' of the canonical summary can show the most
appropriate fragment.

Anyone interested in doing this work?  It involves:

* Working out a single canonical location from amongst the several
  - Releases/#/ReleaseSummary
  - Docs/Beats/OverView
  - Press release needs (more lightweight)
  - etc.

* Define a format for that page so that it can be fragmented (if needed)
for different summaries

* Write up a process for jamming all that together

* Publicize/evangelize

Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41