RFC: wiki page naming

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 17:32:44 UTC 2008

This page has been edited to show a final structure for how pages are
named:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_structure#Page_naming

The background discussion on why is found here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help_talk:Wiki_Structure

In the end, I was swayed by nim (Nicolas Mailhot) and Ian Weller over
two items.  The first part is the global, multi-lingual audience.  Here
is a relevant section from the discussion:

        From quaid:

        Say outloud these two page titles: "Docs Project meetings" and
        "Meetings of the Docs Project". They are both accurate and sound
        fine, for native language speakers. In English, it is more
        likely that the shorter, more declarative form ("Docs Project
        meetings") is going to be used; many would call that version
        "more natural", perhaps because of the English speaker's habit
        of removing articles (the) and prepositions (of).

        * One way to explain why to use this style of naming, rather
        than calling it "natural language forms", say they are "easier
        to understand for non-native readers" and "easier to translate."

        * Another good argument is that having pages with intrinsically
        accurate titles means they sort properly on the category page.
        As you point out, all the meetings then fall under "Meetings of
        Foo-20080630" and sort chronologically etc.

                * Agree --Ian Weller 04:28, 2 July 2008 (UTC)

The second part is in how I think we can use MediaWiki.

The wiki should guide people in how to do something -- learn more, do
more, play more, etc.

To make such guides with a Sub/Page/Structure forces content to exist in
only one ''guide space'', fixed by name.  The only way to change it is
to change all the page names and update incoming links.

In WM, the categories are the guide spaces.  We'll use
[[Category:Packaging Guidelines]] on every page of the current
PackagingGuidelines/ guide space, then rename each page to something
unique to that page.

For example:

* '''old''' PackagingGuidelines#Beware_of_Rpath
* '''new''' Beware_of_rpath_in_packaging

Then a visit to [[Category:Packaging Guidelines]] shows the pages, all
in alphabetical order, all stating what they are about.

To recreate the layout of the current PackagingGuidelines page, we
construct a page that either links to or transcludes all the particular
pages in the order you wish.  Using a transclude allows the page to be
reorganized and autocreate the ToC, so is the preferable method.

As an example of the mess we currently have,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging currently redirects here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Prefixindex/Packaging

Anything confusing on that page?

This new method is designed to solve ugly pages like that. :)

Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41