Contributors v. Writers v. Editors

Chris Carlson cwcarlson at cox.net
Thu Jun 19 05:38:32 UTC 2008

Hello, all.  I've been lurking for a few weeks to see how the mail
interactions progressed, and I've decided to introduce myself.

I'm probably one of the oldest members of this list.  I've been
developing software since 1970, developing in Unix since 1978 and have
worked at all levels of Linux, from drivers to C/C++ to Perl and HTML.
I haven't delved into Ruby or Python yet, but it's just a matter of
time.  I used to work at SGI with GL and OpenGL, though my graphics side
has not been used for the last 10 years.

Because of my experience, I'm often more comfortable at the command-line
level.  For that reason, I'm always doing "man <this>" or "info
<that>".  Because of this, I'm very aware of man pages that are missing
or out of date.  I like info, but usually only prefer it when the man
page is long.  The only graphical man page I got comfortable with was
xman, which apparently isn't available anymore.  I'm sure there are
newer, better GUIs for man pages, but I'm not yet used to them.

Anyway, I also have a bent for using proper English (not British
English, just proper grammar and punctuation).  I'm often editing
stories, documentation or letters, and I'm a newsletter editor for the
American Legion.

Given this background, I thought I could be of some use to the Fedora
documentation project.  I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but I want
to help.  I've already found a minor typo in the documentation for
glXIntro.  The example program sets an attribute to GLX_DOUBLE_BUFFER,
but the symbol doesn't exist; it's now called GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER.

So that's my introduction of myself.  Let me know if there's anything
specific for which I can assist, otherwise, I'll just see what I can do
and how much time I can offer.

As for the message to which I'm replying, my guess is the wiki page is
way out of date.  How should it be updated?  Any one of us add/remove
our names?  Or is there an individual in charge of that?

Chris Carlson