Future was Re: Contributors v. Writers v. Editors

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 15:03:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 21:13 +0200, Bart Couvreur wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 13:34 -0400, Dan Smith wrote:
> > Mr Carlson
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Chris Carlson <cwcarlson at cox.net> wrote:
> > > Mr. Smith,
> > >
> > > I sure hope what you say isn't true.  It may seem like it, but from what
> > A few months back the Fedora project officially announced it was
> > bowing out of the Desktop development game :(  I was saddened but not
> > surprised and that seemed to be the general concencus in all the blogs
> > I read about the announcement.
>
> Hmm, this wasn't a Fedora announcement, this was a Red Hat announcement
> IIRC. Don't mix and match both please.

The Red Hat announcement was NOT abandoning the desktop either.  The
people who misread the announcement -- mostly journalists -- posted
headlines that completely misstated what Red Hat announced.  Red Hat
announced that it was not looking at producing a paid consumer desktop
product right now, which is not at all the same thing.

Red Hat continues to put a huge amount of money and manpower into
creating and improving desktop technologies, like NetworkManager,
PolicyKit, PackageKit, GNOME, Bluetooth, and many, many others.  Red Hat
created or largely funded many of these innovative technologies, and
they have been adopted by a number of other Linux distributions as well,
including Ubuntu and OpenSuSE.  Millions of users worldwide make use of
them every day and appreciate how they make the Linux desktop experience
truly outstanding.

Making the desktop experience great for users is very important to Red
Hat -- but the company is not going to change its strategy to start
*selling desktop software to users.*

Note this has nothing to do with Fedora at all.

> Fedora is still actively geared towards Desktop usage (hence the
> different Desktop Live CD's and so on).
>
> /me will post a more detailed response to this thread in due time

No need.  Let's consider this a dead thread and get back to talking
about documentation here, rather than unrelated topics.  Thanks!