Welcome Email

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 01:18:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 10:57 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> On 29/02/2008, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hey docs people!  I'm working on FAS2, its getting real close.  I was
> >  wondering if someone would draft up what they want the welcome email to
> >  say when people sign up for an account for the first time.  Something to
> >  encourage them and help them through the process of what to do after the
> >  cla is signed.
> >
> >  Joining the Fedora Project is like walking into IKEA the first time.  Lets
> >  try to ease that :)
>
> Urm...this is maybe a bit longer than you had in mind? But you might like it:
>
> --------------------------
>
> Welcome to the Fedora Project. Now that you've signed up for an
> account you're probably desperate to start contributing, and with that
> in mind we hope this e-mail might guide you in the right direction to
> make this process as easy as possible.
>
> Fedora is an exciting project with lots going on, and you can
> contribute in a huge number of ways, using all sorts of different
> skill sets. To find out about the different ways you can contribute to
> Fedora, you can visit our join page which provides more information
> about all the different roles we have available.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/en/join-fedora
>
> If you already know how you want to contribute to Fedora, and have
> found the group already working in the area you're interested in, then
> there are a few more steps for you to get going.
>
> Foremost amongst these is to sign up for the team or project's mailing
> list that you're interested in - and if you're interested in more than
> one group's work, feel free to sign up for as many mailing lists as
> you like! This is because mailing lists are where the majority of work
> gets organised and tasks assigned, so to stay in the loop be sure to
> keep up with the messages.
>
> Once this is done, it's probably wise to send a short introduction to
> the list letting them know what experience you have and how you'd like
> to help. From here, existing members of the team will help you to find
> your feet as a Fedora contributor.
>
> And finally, from all of us here at the Fedora Project, we're looking
> forward to working with you!

One question about this email.  If someone's gone through the CLA
process to get this email, haven't they already discovered this
information -- as part of reading the Join process that got them to that
step to begin with?

Maybe we should be using this email to tell them about things like:

* fedorapeople.org, directing them to the FAQ at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/fedorapeople.org
* planet for bloggers, FAQ at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet
* gobby for collaboration
* other resources...