Meeting with RH Docs

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:01:48 UTC 2008

I talked with a couple of folks from the Red Hat Engineering Content
Services (documentation & translation) groups tonight -- part of a
weekly series of meetings, actually.  Thanks to the kind participation
of Murray McAllister, we have a splendid opportunity to see how our
toolchain can fit together with Publican, the RH Docs tool for building
documentation.  There are probably a few capabilities we have of which
the RH Docs team isn't aware, and some pain points that may require
fixing as well.

I am hopeful that the developer of Publican, Jeff Fearn, will be able to
help out with looking at the FDP toolchain to explore all these issues,
since there aren't many of us here with the combination of the requisite
skills and the time to work on any remaining problems.  Doing this work
in the open community is a big win for everyone, especially since it
will help seed a whole new group of documentation writers and editors in
the FDP.  As I told the RH folks, I suspect this is not nearly as long
or arduous a process as it sounds.  I also think we'll find not only a
lot of common problems already solved, but ways to improve both our
toolchain and Publican as we go.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance as we explore this opportunity
together.