converting from the wiki to docbook

Murray McAllister murray.mcallister at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:06:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 17:35 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
>  > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 22:36 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>  > >  > <snip>
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > Great, so how do I transfer to xml etc.
>  > >  >
>  > >
>  > > > I found this on the wiki
>  > >  >
>  > >  > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Tools/Wiki2XML
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Is that how to do it?
>  > >
>  > >  You'll need to coordinate this work with Murray McAllister.  He raised
>  > >  his hand first to drive the process for F9. :-)  Come by #fedora-docs
>  > >  for more information and make sure you ping both him and me (or quaid if
>  > >  I'm not around).
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  --
>  > >  Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  > >   gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  > >   http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>  > >   irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
>  > >
>  >
>  > Hi Mark,
>  >
>  > Thanks for your help this morning. Currently people are working from
>  > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/BeatStatus to clean up the current
>  > wiki content. The wiki freezes at 2359 UTC on 2008-03-16, and will be
>  > unfrozen at some point after 2359
>  > UTC 2008-03-17 (see
>  > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-March/msg00878.html
>  > for further details).
>  >
>  > With regards to converting from wiki to docbook, would it make sense
>  > to have one person checkout release-notes-devel, convert, check-in,
>  > then coordinate with each other about which pages we are looking at?
>  >
>  > What are your thoughts?
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  >
>  > Murray.
>
>  I'm easy either way it's really up to you since your the lead on this as
>  far as what I can tell since your owning it.
>
>  I would prefer you tell me what you need me to do since you will have
>  the overall understanding of what is going on.
>

>  Cheers,
>
>  Marc

Thanks, if you ask me, I still think the last people who did it owns it ;)

I don't have a great understanding, just a heap of notes after bugging
everyone :) . At the moment, I'm using the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/BeatStatus page to keep track of
the Beats before converting. The idea seems to be to check when it was
last edited, and see if there is any old content that should be
removed; however, for the preview notes, I don't see this step as
being vital, since people can say "this is old" afterwards, and the
old content can be removed before GA.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Wiki2XML is a good reference
to check each page. If you want to add "Docs/Beats.*" and
"Docs/Beat.*" to your watch list, you will be able to see if anyone
adds anything at the last minute. I have been leaving notes on
BeatsStatus to try and remind me what to do.

If a page hasn't changed much, to save having to recheck the markup,
you can just fix/make additions to the existing ones, which will also
save converting again.

I haven't checked the pages Karsten made from gobby today...I have a
heap of notes, so if anything is missing, I'll try to add them soon. I
think basic process (please correct if wrong) is as follows:

1. clean up existing content (make sure markup/grammar/etc is correct:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Wiki2XML)
2. after the freeze, check out release-notes-devel from CVS.
3. Follow the steps here to create a beats folder, pull down the
current wiki, and then convert to xml:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/release-notes/devel/xmlbeats/steps-to-convert-FC7.txt?root=docs&view=markup
(the beatconvert and xmlfix tools are in the
release-notes-devel/release-notes/xmlbeats/ directory).
4. check BeatsStatus to see which pages have already been
fixed/tagged, and add additions where required...
5. check the tags on newly converted pages.
6 run "make pot"
7. check into CVS and notify l10n.

There is 1 day (between 2359 UTC on 2008-03-16 and 2359 UTC
2008-03-17) for steps 2-7. Maybe before then, we could decide what
pages (XML) we want to do, or just let everyone else know which ones
we are looking at...

I hope some of that made sense. Please let me know if it didn't.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,

Murray.

pub   1024D/81B3FDEB 2007-09-19 [expires: 2008-09-18]
Key fingerprint = 4ED9 9907 5BF0 4132 2B46  20D1 C0C6 362D 81B3 FDEB
Murray McAllister (Fedora Docs Project / mdious) <murray.mcallister at gmail.com>
sub   2048g/B04CFA0C 2007-09-19 [expires: 2008-09-18]