fedora-release-notes package

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 13:52:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 15:23 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Schedule, on
> the 1st of April, a "fedora-release-notes" package is sent to Fedora
> release engineering. What exactly is this package? Is it something for
> people to install?

That's correct.  Once all the translations are done and we have the PO
files in hand, we run "make release-srpm" in release-notes/devel/ .
This downloads the current CVS HEAD of some other modules: about-fedora,
homepage, readme-burning-isos, readme-live-image, and readme.

From each of these modules we build the required files in all languages
marked in those modules (via their individual po/LINGUAS files, same as
many other applications).  We also build the release notes in HTML, and
then make a great big tarball out of everything.

That tarball is imported into the Fedora Package CVS repository, as a
source tarball for that RPM, the same way a package maintainer would do
for any package.  (We also maintain a specfile in our CVS that is copied
to the Fedora Package CVS.  That's where we do testing of new tool stuff
before we start messing with the "real" package CVS.

Once in the Fedora Package CVS, the package is built by the normal
packager toolchain (through koji and bodhi, and tagged for the distro)
just like any other package.  The fedora-release-notes package is
required by the fedora-release package, so it ends up on pretty much all
systems.

To test or build the 'release-srpm' target, you need to have the
"Authoring and Publishing" group and the "w3m" package installed via
yum.