Persistent overlay?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 19 20:06:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 12:24 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 11:17 -0400, Jason Farrell wrote:
>

> > A small list:
> > 1) Saved State
> > 2) State Layer
> > 3) Writable Layer
> > 4) Read-Write Overlay
> > 5) Read-Write Area
> > 6) Changeable Image
> >
> > "User data and system changes are saved to the _BLANK_."
> >
> > Calling it a "Writable Layer" might make slightly more common sense.

Rahul's comments about user accessibility are fair enough.  So this
sounds good.

> "Saved State Layer" is pretty good, but then what about people who don't
> understand the idea of state?  It is also a bit harder to translate.
>
> A word for 'persistence' that has a close-enough meaning for the
> layperson is 'permanent'.  If it is important that we convey it is a
> 'layer' rather than an ambiguous 'space'/'area':
>
> "User data and system changes are saved to the Permanent Layer."

Ha, word fun!  But "permanent" might have the opposite meaning from what
we intend, which is that it can be changed over time. :-)  I do like
"layer" for clarity, though.

What about:
 * Writable Layer (this really isn't bad 'tall)
 * System Change Layer
 * Flexible Data Layer
 * Recordable Layer (dangerously close to jargon collision, but
                     does make good sense)

Something tells me there's a real world analog we can use somewhere...
and it probably involves either baseball or cooking.