moving content off of the draft wiki

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 05:37:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:02:22PM +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think there are some great documents on /wiki/Docs/Drafts/, but
> these are hard to find:
>
> 1. <http://fedoraproject.org/>
> 2. Click "Docs"
> 3. I might be impatient, but I can't actually find the link to the
> drafts (I know it is there somewhere though)
> 4. phail :-)
>
> Ubuntu:
>
> 1. http://www.ubuntu.com/
> 2. support -> documentation
> 3. Admire pretty list of documentation that desktop users and
> non-Linux people probably want to know.
>
> openSuSE:
>
> 1. http://www.opensuse.org/en/
> 2. Click Discover it
> 3. Click Documentation (lots of clutter, but I found it easy to find).
> 4. Nice list of links. Looks pretty
> <http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation> rocks!
>
> It seems the Fedora process is too formal and too hung up on having
> 'professional documentation', that all the useful information gets
> left behind on wiki drafts where people aren't going to look. Maybe
> instead of the fedora admin guide , the drafts sections could be
> turned into mini howtos?
>
> Sorry if I sound grumpy :-)
>
> I would be happy to convert
> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/Permissions>
> to DocBook if it could be placed somewhere other than in the drafts
> section.

You don't think it might have a little something to do with the fact
that both of the companies behind those distros employ full-time docs
people for their free distros?  :-)

It is, in fact, a wiki, and people can put documentation where they
want to.  If you're interested in putting up a mini-HOWTO on
permissions, whether it came from there or not, please feel free!

The idea of a larger administration guide is something our
contributors have wanted to do -- the problem being that people come
in with the idea of doing a huge guide, and when they realize it's a
LOT of work, they get overwhelmed.  Which is why we've always
encouraged people to do small documents until they get the hang of the
workload and processes that produce good docs.

Hope *I* don't sound too grumpy. ;-)