F10 Documentation

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 05:58:32 UTC 2008

----- "Karsten 'quaid' Wade" <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 05:06 -0400, Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:
> > > Would it be ok If I set up a cron job that:
> > > 1) Puts translation statistics on a public web page (to make it
> > > simple, e.g. my fedorapeople web space)
> > > 2) Sends updated statistics to fedora-trans-list daily, or even
> after
> > > each 'submission' depending on how much we want to spam that
> list...
> > >
> > > In addition, we could add a link to this stats through the front
> page
> > > of translate.fedoraproject.org
>
> I was more hoping we'd have the actual content on the appropriate
> module
> page at translate.fedoraproject.org.  Are those pages too dynamic, or
> can we insert XHTML specific to a module?  I'm thinking specifically
> of
> an <iframe> or similar construct to pull in a specific cron-job
> output.
>
> If that is not sanely doable, maybe a really big and obvious link on
> each of the modules page?
>
> My goal is to be able to have Translators reliably hit one URL or
> family
> of URLs for their status/updates/submitting.  We can continue to
> switch
> out the under parts of translate.fedoraproject.org, as long as the
> REST
> URLs can stay the same.  Does that make sense as a goal for F10 docs
> l10n from where we are today?

At this stage, the docs-modules won't show up at all in DL if we can't generate some DL-friendly stats. And I'm not volunteering to fix DL to support this, and I rather see DL die before F11 translations start :)

What I can do is provide publican-statistics like the following:
http://asgeirf.fedorapeople.org/docstats/release-notes.master/

These stats are updated hourly, but could do it more often (polling the upstream repo for changes is a rather cheap operation)

I'll see if I can find some time looking into cleaning up these stats a bit, giving translators:
- URL to the git-web-checkout for each PO file,
- URL to the module-specific page for transifex.
- List of documents we provide stats for

It would be nice to have this more integrated with DL, but personally I don't have time to do this.

cheers,
asgeir