prompts in command examples

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:09:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 09:32:19AM -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 22:32 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > Note that the su command removes the need for the user to look for
> > niggling prompt details.  It also clarifies that the user should
> > expect a prompt for the root password.
>
> In part of that discussion with the Content Services team, we discussed
> the need for sudo to be enabled by default.  One person was in favor of
> having each document specify how to enable sudo, but I don't like that
> rat hole.  That is another point we could discuss, however, if any
> Anonymous Cowards are interested in fixing the common usage.  Meanwhile,
> I'm advocating for a sane sudo-by-default in future Fedora versions so
> we can stop having to use 'su -c'.

The last time I tried Rawhide I remember there being some strange
change in the way that root access is (or isn't) provided.  This may
affect the use of 'su' -- sorry I didn't recall it before when I
posted.  I have a download of F10 Beta and I hope to have some time to
look at it later today or tonight.