prompts in command examples

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 21:01:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 23:59 -0400, Kam wrote:
> With Fedora-live sudo does not work as expected either. It leads to
> additonal confusion.

We used to maintain a sudo tutorial, which gives us a single, external
reference for all-things-sudo without repeating it in each guide/on each
page.

However, this breaks the model that Elizabeth (Ann optional?) proposed,
which I generally agree with.  For the User Guide, we want them not to
have to use the super-user powers, but what do we do when they have to?

Myself, I like the original compromise that Murry brought here, thus
interpreted:

* Be consistent, either 'su -c' or 'sudo' and all that entails
* Don't show the prompt in giving a command; it should be cuttable and
pastable as-is
* Show the appropriate prompt symbol only when showing a set of example
output (<screen> block), as that is what the user literally sees.
* Also don't show the $PS1, which is the user/host info ([foo at localhost
tmp]$)

Maybe we want to add:

* Use full path to command when it is not likely to be in the _user's_
default path, which is changing for F10.

My vote on 'su -c' v. 'sudo' is not set yet.  I could be swayed in to a
sudo tutorial, if we could really do that consistently.  Otherwise, we
have to go for the common command that will work _everywhere_, which is
'su -c'.  If the user doesn't have the root password for that command to
work, the user should not be doing the command in the first place!

Karsten Wade, Community Gardener
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41