Self-introduction

Justin G. Mitchell jgmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 21:00:22 UTC 2008

Hello all!

My name is Justin Mitchell and I'm interested in helping with the
Fedora Docs project. I made the permanent switch back to Fedora and
open source software at the begin of this year after having Vista eat
my computer and using a variety of open source tools to recover data
and do my job that closed source tools couldn't do. By day I'm a
security engineer, using Fedora in a Windows environment and just had
to have tools that are reliable. I admit I still use XP running in
VMware, but that is more for Visio than anything else.

This is the first time I have ever joined an open source project in
any way at all. Usually, I'd just download my software, use it and not
give back. I figure it's time to change things and start contributing
to a product I love and recommend to others.

Justin

What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?
This is my first project I have contributed to officially. I have
created documentation for end-users at my job as a systems
administrator.

What level and type of computer skills do you have?
I'm pretty much a power user (or at least like to think of myself as
one). I run fedora 9 as my primary desktop and use it to manage a
Windows-based server enivronment and Cisco equipment. I have my MCSA
Messenging 2003 and my CCSP. I love new challenges and sharing my
knowledge with others.

What other skills do you have that might be applicable? User interface
design, other so-called soft skills (people skills), programming, etc.
I have a lot of experience supporting end-users and explaining things
in a way that makes it easy for non-technical people to understand.

I've studied graphic design, and have experience with most professional tools.

What makes you an excellent match for the project?
At this point I have been using open source software on and off since
Red Hat 5 and am eager to start giving back to the community that has
created such a wonderful product and help others just starting out
with it.

pub   1024D/3C989C7A 2008-05-29
     Key fingerprint = 743B 1E97 BDBF 4912 897B  8AD9 C101 316F 3C98 9C7A
uid                  Justin Grahm Mitchell
uid                  [jpeg image of size 3621]
sub   2048g/2B5B0D69 2008-05-29