Tips for Stronger Writing

Elizabeth Ann West elizabeth at eawestwriting.com
Wed Oct 22 15:09:18 UTC 2008

Hello All,

As I am working on editing the install-guide, I had a great idea for a
series through the docs-list. If people are interested, I would be happy
to start condensing my editing techniques into small tidbits
documentation writers can learn from and apply to any writing pieces,
making them stronger. I can try to have a new Tips for Stronger Writing
each week, if you all find them helpful. Here is the first one titled
"Trim the That." Please let me know how you like it, if it is easy to
understand, and if you would like me to continue the series.

Always Smiling,
Elizabeth Ann West

Trim the That

The word "that" is used in the English language most often for indirect
discourse,
an emphasis on a certain entity we are speaking about to distinguish it
from others.
Writers easily fall into the trap of using "that"
when it does not enhance or add to the message for the reader.

Compare:

This directory contains a folder for each architecture supported by that
release of Fedora.

This CD holds a live image that you can use to try Fedora.

The first sentence uses the word "that" correctly, as it is
distinguishing there are other releases of Fedora,
and we are referring to a specific release. The second sentence has the
word "that" as just an extra word. Is there more than
one live image on the disc?

Here's a good way to test, try taking "that" out and see if the sentence
still makes sense.

This directory contains a folder for each architecture supported by
release of Fedora.

Still work? No. So "that" must remain.

This CD holds a live image you can use to try Fedora.

Hey, the sentence still makes sense; without that extra word, the reader
is left with a crystal clear message. By the way, the former sentence is
another case of where "that" is needed.

So try taking a look over your next piece of writing and see if you can
trim the "that." :)