plan for working with release notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 01:39:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 11:27 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> Karsten 'quaid' Wade さんは書きました:

> >> I thought one of the fundamental points was that we weren't going to
> >> force the translators to learn yet another SCM system.  We should offer
> >> alternatives (open a ticket with the info and one of us will do it for
> >> them) for the steps that would otherwise require tools like git.
> >
> > Yes, that is a fundamental goal, and currently they don't need to use
> > *any* SCM to submit translations.  Translators can download the POT file
> > and submit the PO file via l10n.fedoraproject.org.  But for those who
> > want to build locally to check their work, they need a working
> > toolchain.
> >
> > This is worth clarifying in updates to TQSG -- these are actions for
> > people who want to build locally.
>
> Since it seems natural that many translators wish for the capability of
> building for proofreading purpose, this will be must to include.
>
> Or, when committed, some mechanism automatically builds them and
> publishes somewhere as draft, translators may not need to have git
> installed for proofreading purpose.

What if we were to fix the TQSG to include information on how to:

1. check out the "new" docs-common,

2. add new language support by running a couple commands and translating
a single small POT => PO file (in other words, exactly as before), and

3. file a Trac ticket with the appropriate additions?

> >> No clue... all I know is that some languages fall back... so for
> >> example, a en_US might fall back to en.
> >
> > Interesting.  It appears that there is a parity right now between the
> > po/ folder and the common/ folder, especially since I merged the Korean
> > files.
>
> We are expected to change our language code to such as "ja-JP" due to
> Publican not accepting "_" underscore, no?
> My memory is bad.

The Fedora docs toolchain won't mind either format, so translators can
do as they like, really.

> >> I don't know.  FYI, the Korean language stuff was done just last night.
> >> It's probably worth documenting what needs to be done to create a new
> >> language, so that people like myself who are inexperience with the
> >> translation process have a canonical source to know what to do.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Adding_languages_to_fedora-doc-utils
>
> >From individual translator's view, even if ko.xml is missing, as far as
> release-note-ja is buildable then that does not cause any problem for me
> to perform proofreading. However sometime I like to help other languages
> translators, so eventually all of other languages xml should be
> available to pick up somewhere.

By any chance, do you have a list of new languages that need support?
If so, and you were to send it to us here, we could start the process by
creating the files, which translators could then populate as needed.

--
Paul W. Frields