Fedora 10 Docs Schedule

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 09:15:10 UTC 2008

> John Poelstra <poelstra <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > Did you have any comments on the tasks prior to Beta?  I'd like to get
> > those right too so that building F11 is on auto-pilot :)
>
> Coming from a developer / beat writer standpoint here: One thing which should
> be clearer is when exactly the beats stop targeting Fn release note errata and
> start targeting Fn+1 (currently n=9). Because we want to make sure our changes
> for Fn+1 end up in the Fn+1 release notes, but we don't want them in the Fn
> release note errata! And if the point where we're targeting F10 already
> happened, then can the wiki please be fixed not to refer to F9 all over the
> Docs/Beats front page? This is something I already complained about in the F9
> cycle.

Where does it refer to F9?  That is, is it just content that needs
updating, or is it some kind of direction about what version the work
refers to?

Old content in various beats may hang around in Docs/Beats/ until the
clean-up for the Preview Release.  Sub-optimal, yes.

Sorry it's unclear when we stop using Docs/Beats for errata.  The idea
is, once we begin working on the release notes for the next release in
any fashion, the content is clearly rolling over to Fn+1.  There
definitely needs to be a clear date for when that happens.

> Another thing I wonder is: are the one-page release notes for the alpha and
> beta releases really a good idea? Because the thing is, they're intended to
> save us work so we can get the first release notes done more quickly, but in
> practice they're actually extra work, because we have to write everything
> twice, once in a short form for the one-page notes and once in a detailed form
> in the beats. For some features (like KDE 4.0 was in F9), there's also no way
> to fit in all the important stuff into the one page (or else more than half of
> it would have been KDE stuff ;-) ). I'd rather have just written the full beats
> right away (but couldn't because they were still targeting F8 errata, and they
> wouldn't have been used anyway).

"It depends."

In your case, I'd recommend putting in a pointer:

        "KDE is hugely different.  For more information, refer to the
        in-progress full release notes page:

        http://.../Docs/Beats/KDE"

It's an evolving process, it definitely can use improvements.  However,
it is much better than doing multiple conversions to XML or trying to
have all of the Docs/Beats in viewable shape by Alpha.

Karsten Wade, Sr. Community Relations Guy
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41