{{do this not this}}

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 18:34:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 15:22 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> I decided we needed a good, standard way within our wiki documentation
> to say to "do this, but don't do this". I have produced a template to
> assist with that.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Do_this_not_this
>
> It's includable on a page like so:
> {{do this not this|do=You should do this|dont=But not this|why=Because I
> said so}}
>
> Feedback? Is there a way that DocBook does it? Am I forgetting something
> major?

There isn't a DocBook equivalent, so using this in this way would only
work on the wiki.  We could find a way to map it to a DocBook setup,
which would likely be a table with "Do this" and "Do not do this" column
headers.  Or something.

As a wiki idea, I dig the concept.  We want to consider how people
should use it in practice so there is not e.g. a long set of rows of
these making it hard to read the text.

The thing is, making them stand out as an admonition means we want to
use it more sparingly.  Overuse causes eye abuse. :)

Another thing we could do is create a standard set of tables, such as a
"do/do not" table, and make them available from Help:Wiki_editing.  It
doesn't let us control them centrally, but it at least helps us set and
evolve some consistency.

What is a good way to track usage of these tables so we can find and
update there usage when we update the templates?

Karsten Wade, Sr. Community Relations Guy
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41