F10 Documentation

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 20:21:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 05:06 -0400, Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:

> > Would it be ok If I set up a cron job that:
> > 1) Puts translation statistics on a public web page (to make it
> > simple, e.g. my fedorapeople web space)
> > 2) Sends updated statistics to fedora-trans-list daily, or even after
> > each 'submission' depending on how much we want to spam that list...
> >
> > In addition, we could add a link to this stats through the front page
> > of translate.fedoraproject.org

I was more hoping we'd have the actual content on the appropriate module
page at translate.fedoraproject.org.  Are those pages too dynamic, or
can we insert XHTML specific to a module?  I'm thinking specifically of
an <iframe> or similar construct to pull in a specific cron-job output.

If that is not sanely doable, maybe a really big and obvious link on
each of the modules page?

My goal is to be able to have Translators reliably hit one URL or family
of URLs for their status/updates/submitting.  We can continue to switch
out the under parts of translate.fedoraproject.org, as long as the REST
URLs can stay the same.  Does that make sense as a goal for F10 docs
l10n from where we are today?

> > Comments on this workflow is welcome, but I'll try to make sure we at
> > least have some statistics for our documentation SOON.
> >
> > I guess the fedora infrastructure is in 'freeze' mode, so I'm not
> > sure
> > how easy it would be to make the script run inside the
> > infrastructure... But the main concern now is giving translators some
> > statistics :)

Let's figure out what we need to make it a full part of the
Infrastructure and ask what we can do.

> Could anyone review the attached script for converting release-notes
> to a publican-friendly PO structure?

From a bash viewpoint, and mine is very poor fwiw, it looks sane to me.

From a publican view, presuming 'make update-po-all' does what you say
it does ('adding PO dir and POs for each language'), then it also looks
sane to me.

I'd say, "No time like the present, pull the do-it trigger," etc., but
I'll poke Paul to take a quick look just before you go ahead.

> Figured I'd learn ABC in bash scripting while I was at it...
> I could send out a git patch, but it makes it a bit hard to see what I was doing...

Thanks for the effort, it did make it clear and helped my
understanding. :)

Karsten Wade, Community Gardener
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41