install guide draft

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Sat Apr 4 01:23:53 UTC 2009

Mani A wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:30 PM,  <fedora-docs-list-request at redhat.com> wrote:
> Ruediger Landmann <r.landmann at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Did the native kernel have multiprocessor support before F9?
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Kernel.html
>> (whatever version it was, the text should be clarified to name it
>> specifically)
>>

> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/fc6/en_US/sn-Kernel.html#id2840748
>
> mentions it
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/fc5/release-notes-ISO/#id3131236
>
> says 'There is no separate SMP kernel available for the x86_64
> architecture in Fedora Core 5'
>
>> This note will become less and less relevant with each release – at what
>> point should we drop it though?
>>

> I think it is time.  Very few distros have been having different
> kernels for SMP and uniprocessors for 2+ years.

You've convinced me :)

Unless anyone speaks up in the next few days with a reason why this
should stay in, I'll remove it.

>>> "Swap should equal 2x physical RAM for up to 2 GB of physical RAM, and
>>> then an additional 1x physical RAM for any amount above 2 GB, but
>>> never less than 32 MB.
>>> So, if:
>>> M = Amount of RAM in GB, and S = Amount of swap in GB, then
>>>
>>> If M < 2
>>>       S = M *2
>>> Else
>>>       S = M + 2"
>>>
>>> Using this formula, a system with 2 GB of physical RAM would have 4 GB
>>> of swap, while one with 3 GB of physical RAM would have 5 GB of swap.
>>> Creating a large swap space partition can be especially helpful if you
>>> plan to upgrade your RAM at a later time.
>>> For systems with really large amounts of RAM (more than 32 GB) you can
>>> likely get away with a smaller swap partition (around 1x, or less, of
>>> physical RAM)."
>>>

>>> The formula is not correct. Or is this the result of some special study?
>>>

>> The formula is the current recommendation in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> (see http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-15252 ) and is what anaconda
>> will create by default when installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux or
>> Fedora. I don't think we should change this recommendation unless
>> anaconda's behaviour changes as well.
>>
>> I think the text makes it pretty clear that this recommendation is only
>> indicative; it's prefaced "If you are unsure about what size swap
>> partition to create..."
>>
>> Do you think we need to draw more attention to this being a "rule of thumb"?
>>

> Some references should be provided.

I'll see what I can find.
> Most if not all desktop, netbook and laptop users will need the option
> iommu=noaperture
>
> It should be documented.

I'll run this past the anaconda team. However, the Installation Guide
generally doesn't document kernel options other than the ones that
anaconda looks for.
> btw some parts of the draft guide have explicit instructions for RHEL

Thanks; I've been weeding them out but we're not quite there yet.
However, references to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Deployment Guide
(which are mostly in the context of "for further information...") need
to stay unless we can find similarly-detailed documentation that's
specific to Fedora. Suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks again for the ongoing feedback.

Cheers
Rudi