License Change... Publican

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Mon Aug 3 18:46:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:55, Richard Fontana<rfontana at redhat.com> wrote:
> I would recommend changing the text further than that.  That language is
> taken directly from the OPL:
>
>  Proper form for an incorporation by reference is as follows:
>  Copyright (c) <year> by <author's name or designee>. This material
>  may be distributed only subject to the terms and conditions set forth
>  in the Open Publication License, vX.Y or later (the latest version is
>  presently available at http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/).
>
> My recommendation:
>
>  This document is licensed under a Creative Commons
>  Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.
>
> That can probably be improved on.  Also, you may wish to specify how
> you want attribution to be given.
>
> As a separate note, but raised in my mind because of this license
> change, perhaps the subsequent reference to Fedora trademarks in this
> Publican legal boilerplate should be accompanied by a pointer to the
> Fedora trademark guidelines (to clarify that the stylized Fedora mark
> and the Fedora infinity logo aren't themselves being licensed under
> CC-BY-SA).
>
> - RF

Sorry, I didn't include the entire portion of the legal notice.  Here
is the complete notice:

<quote>
Copyright © 2008 Red Hat, Inc. This material may only be distributed
subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication
License, V1.0, (the latest version is presently available at
http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/).

Fedora and the Fedora Infinity Design logo are trademarks or
registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc., in the U.S. and other
countries.

Red Hat and the Red Hat "Shadow Man" logo are registered trademarks of
Red Hat Inc. in the United States and other countries.

All other trademarks and copyrights referred to are the property of
their respective owners.
Documentation, as with software itself, may be subject to export
control. Read about Fedora Project export controls at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Export.
</quote>

So I'm concentrating on that first paragraph, second sentence only.
So we should make it:

Copyright © 2008 Red Hat, Inc. This material may only be distributed
subject to the terms and conditions set forth in a Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license, (the latest version is
presently available at
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/).

--Eric