Fedora Desktop Guide Update

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 19:48:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:22:45AM -0400, Matthew Daniels wrote:
> At last week's FDSCo meeting, I blabbered along for a few minutes concerning
> where I wanted to go with the User Guide (and, subsequently, that I thought
> we should rename it).

Sorry I missed that.  Just wanted to throw in the historical bit on
naming around content for this target audience.

The term 'desktop' has a lot of different meanings.  If I have a
laptop, does this book apply to me?  What if it's an OLPC XO running
Fedora?  Or a thin client at my school?  It looks like a desktop
because it has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, but it may not even
have a visible tower ...

The term 'user' is also ambiguous, but more inclusive.

So, while renaming is still under discussion, and in light of the
tighter audience definitions made so far, is there a "better" or even
a "best" term to throw in there?

Fedora User Guide
Fedora Desktop Guide
Fedora Computer User Guide
Guide to Using Fedora
How to Use Fedora
Making Fedora Work for You

As techies, we get caught up in the "Product * Guide" naming scheme.
What is different that isn't just stealing titles from existing books?

On the last note -- we should refer to some nice documentation that
says how to use a mouse and such.  That is, we need to fit above the
level of total computer basics.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41