[Fwd: Fw: License Change... Publican]

Pamela Chestek pchestek at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 17:53:24 UTC 2009

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. As Richard suggests, we should
make sure that the copyright license doesn't inadvertently extend to
permit the use of the trademarks. My suggestion would be something like:

The text and illustrations of this document are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license. FEDORA and
the Fedora Infinity Design logo are trademarks of Red Hat, Inc.,
registered in the U.S. and other countries.  For guidelines on the
permitted uses of the Fedora trademarks go to [link].  All other
trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

I also point out that the current notice on the Fedora documentation
says "All other trademarks /and copyrights/ referred to are the property
of their respective owners."  To me, mentioning that there might be
other copyright owners in the notice only creates questions, because it
might cause a downstream user to wonder whether the CC license applies
to the entire work.  Assuming we don't have anything that can't be
licensed CC-BY-SA, then we should eliminate the confusion (and if we do
have stuff that can't be licensed that way, then we have bigger problems).

Pamela S. Chestek
Senior IP Attorney
Red Hat, Inc.
1801 Varsity Drive