Documentation Desktop Presentation

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Thu Dec 3 19:18:18 UTC 2009

Last night at our meeting we had a discussion of options for presenting
installed documentation.  By way of background, we have traditionally
provided the Release Notes and the About Fedora document in yelp.  A few
other documents were placed in the /usr/share/doc/HTML directory prior
to Fedora 11, but no links were provided to those documents.  Some were
actually in html, others were plain text.  As of Fedora 12, all the
documents are available in html, html-single and pdf, but only the
Release Notes and About Fedora are installed by default, and only a
handful (maybe one) are available as installable packages.

Publican packages documents as a single language per package, which can
be extremely clumsy if one wants multiple languages.  However, the
package creation is totally automatic and hence appealing.  Release
Notes have been traditionally packaged manually, and that has continued
since converting to Publican.

There are also delivery alternatives, but I see them as a separate
issue, so I have focused solely on the presentation under the assumption
we are including documentation that has been installed via traditional
Fedora installation vehicles.

I've put together the presentation options as I see them at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop_Documentation_Presentation_Options

I am sure there are other possibilities, and there must be advantages
and disadvantages to all the options that I overlooked.  I would ask you
to review the wiki page and ADD TO IT.  Document issues and advantages
of any of the schemes that you can recognize, and also ideas for other
approaches.

Thanks
--McD