Preparing for F11 Release Notes

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Fri Jan 30 16:15:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 08:28 +1000, ryan lerch wrote:
> I think we really need to define what the scope of the Release Notes
> is going to be. Will it be just new features, known issues and
> important bugfixes?
>
> or
>
> will it be all that + a mini installation guide? take the "Live" [1]
> section as an example. Live images are nothing new in f10.
>

> also after going though the release notes over the last couple of
> days, i feel that they could also do with an overhaul on how the
> information is structured and consequently presented... A solid
> structure of the release notes would also make it significantly easier
> to maintain the wiki <---> docbook relationship.

I know that I have always read the release notes for Fedora ever since I
started using it regularly (FC5 I believe), but I have also been
following the release notes for Gnome and also KDE 4 when it came out.
And I have to say, maybe it's just me, but I was far more "wowed" and
"awed" by the Gnome & KDE release notes than the Fedora ones.  I still
got what I wanted from the Fedora ones, but the Gnome & KDE ones really
gave me that desire to try them out.

Maybe we can take some lessons from them?  Also, I think they tend to be
more of "release announcements" rather than "release notes", if such a
distinction can be made.  They tend not to include much information such
as known issues, unless buried deeper or linked away, which is something
I think we can go for or benefit from as well.

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com