Maintenance/Brevity vs. Explicit Instructions

Matthew Daniels danielsmw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 17:18:19 UTC 2009

The other day I noticed someone mention in #fedora-docs how much of a
maintenance nightmare it is to have the same user instructions
replicated over multiple places.  In the process of editing the UG,
I've been thinking; is there a good reason that this happens, or is it
just because of the way docs get tangled up over time?

For example, the User Guide has multiple places where the user is
instructed to install new software.  I understand that there is some
value in repeating the instructions every time this happens, but is it
worth the nightmare is causes with maintenance and uniformity?  Would
it not be better to simply keep the canon set of instructions in one
place (like User Guide - Managing Software) and consistently refer the
user to these instructions?

Just curious for everyone's opinion on this.  Kinda wanted to bounce
it around before I change everything.

-Matthew