PATCH[1/1] Linux Security Guide

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 08:06:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:24:36PM -0500, Eric Christensen wrote:

> If we are missing something you think should be addressed please feel
> free to develop a chapter.

When Eric discussed the scope of the Security Guide with us on IRC,
this was before the Red Hat content was released and available as an
upstream to draw from.

However, we agreed then and later that it was a good idea to ...

* Include a wide range of security needs in the 'Security Guide'

* Make sure it was applicable to the "average desktop user", the
  "average system administrator", and the "average highly secure
  environment paranoid-for-good-reason professional."

(Eric, is that a fair assessment of the scope?)

That is a challenge, but a good one.

We can always take the larger upstream content and draw more than one
Fedora-focused guide from it, for example ...

* Fedora Home User Security Guide
* Fedora Secure Datacenter Guide
* Etc.

By putting all the content in to one upstream document, it is like the
Linux kernel -- useful for many sizes of hardware and environments.

Fortunately, DocBook XML makes it relatively easy to construct new
guides out of existing XML content by reorganizing and omitting.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41