User Guide status?

susan_lists at ties.org susan_lists at ties.org
Tue Jan 6 18:58:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 12:36:15PM -0500, susan_lists at ties.org wrote:
> > Matthew, Betty, et al
> >
> > What is the status of the user's guide?
> > I wanted to help more but I haven't gotten a FC9 box put together to run
> > through fact checking for you. :(
>
> We're nearly there with the F9, so it might be fine to go ahead with
> F10 for you?
>
> Or a virtualized instance might help.

 Hmm... if I had more memory in that old laptop I've been using. :)
And I found my livecd but only helps with gnome which is mostly done.

> > I would like to contribute to the FC10 version though - specifically I
> would
> > like to expand on Managing Photos
> > to include some screen shots and reference some other included software
> and
> > options.
>
> That sounds good, although I'll give you the usual caveat about
> screenshots and why we eschew them:
>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide/FedoraSpecific#Screenshots_and_Images

Fair enough.  A number of other sections should be trimmed of some of the
screenshots too then.
That is something else I can help with in moving to FC10 - update or remove
screenshots in users guide.
[laubersm makes note, welcomes nudges if she forgets]

I do know a lot of users that need encouragement to install and try
something and a screen shot or two often catches their interests.  I will
look into adding a reference to the upstream project's screenshots to
address this need.  The only problem with that is back to version
mismatches.

Also in the middle of a lot of steps screenshots help a new user check that
they got to the correct place. I agree that they are NOT needed for every
step and they are often used too much.

> > Will that be done in the wiki?  Or straight in XML from a git repo?
> > I'm good with either - just let me know where the FC10 version is located
> as
> > soon as you get it moved over.
>
> That is a good question that Matthew and others need to think about.
> Once the initial F9 User Guide is converted, it might be easier to do
> the F10 update directly in XML.
>
> However, history around here has shown that you get a *lot* more
> contributors when you draft in the wiki.  If the conversion process
> can be brought down to a few hours or so, then doing the work in the
> wiki makes more sense -- you get more collaboration, more visibility
> in to the work in progress, and so forth.

+1

I saw a user guide git location
http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/?p=docs/user-guide.git;a=summary
Is this where the XML should go?
I'm new to git - does it get branched under here for FC9 or should it be
named FC9 and a new one for FC10 in parallel?
Where did the FC8 stuff end up?
[laubersm knows she has not been paying attention to all the locations]

-Susan

--
Susan Lauber, (RHCX, RHCA, RHCSS)
Lauber System Solutions, Inc.