CMS Option: Zikula

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:47:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 05:35:27PM -0500, Eric Christensen wrote:

> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I think we should also be considering the other major players in the
> > CMS game, if there are people available to deploy and maintain them.
> > Drupal and Joomla! immediately come to mind, the latter especially
> > because it actually has some DocBook XML support.  Features aren't
> > particularly compelling, though, if we have no one around to help with
> > the maintenance.
> >
> > None of this has any bearing on the quality of Zikula, which I'm sure
> > is excellent.
> >
> I completely agree.  Herlo talked to someone about WordPress earlier
> this afternoon (review should be coming later the weekend).  The more
> information we have about the choices out there means we'll be better
> prepared to make decision.
>
> If anyone knows someone with these other CMSs it would be good to talk
> with them and ask them the questions.

It's interesting you bring up WordPress, because I think there are
Fedora folks (and maybe Red Hat folks too) who have prior contact with
people at Automattic.  I do know there are sites out there using
WordPress as a CMS when the required workflow is the right fit.  I've
been using it since 2002 myself and I can see where it would be a good
fit.  It's also already packaged for EPEL and Fedora, actively
maintained, and has a thriving community.