What is the purpose of a Docs CMS?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 27 09:59:13 UTC 2009

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Our current system is essentially checking rendered content in to
>> source control, and an auto-builder puts it on the web.  Historically,
>> this system was never well adopted, even by people who otherwise know
>> and understand the tools.  Instead, easier to use tools have drawn the
>> attention and content, such as wikis and blogs.  The adoption rates
>> are staggering by comparison.
>
> I am sure that I have missed this somewhere, but what are the specific
> pain points that make the source_control_toolchain_builder driven
> system not adoption ready ?

Not enough time in a day to waste on learning something like this. I
have been a active contributor via release notes but only on wiki edits.
Someone else has been doing the conversion into docbook xml and
publishing it.

Not that I don't know docbook xml or aren't aware of the benefits but it
is simply too tedious to do on a regular basis. a CMS would cut the
middlemen and let me publish directly, hopefully.

Rahul