What is the purpose of a Docs CMS?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 21:03:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:43:15AM -0500, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 00:28 +0800, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> > How about rather than looking for an end-all be all solution, we find
> > more than one tool that can all be used together.
>
> That brings up a very good point, and one that I didn't articulate well
> in my last post:
>
> Have we defined an overall plan for how formal documents will be
> written, edited, translated, and published?  Is DocBook at the core
> still a requirement?

Most certainly, yes.  Sorry about that confusion.

> In other words, are we going to do the
> wiki->DocBook->(Translate?)->XSLT->CMS->Edit->Publish dance?

(wiki->)DocBook->Translate->XSLT->Publish

Edit should be done before translating. :)

> Or do we
> expect the entire life-cycle of the document to live inside the CMS
> system?

IMO, our current purpose is not to replace the current document
life-cycle.

I have no expectations of what the future shall bring us.  As I said,
if having a Docs CMS brings in more writers and editors because they
like and prefer to use the CMS, that is a good problem to have.

I reckon we'll always need a high-quality toolchain underneath it all;
currently DocBook XML does that, but DITA or similar could be in our
future.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41