CMS discussions yet again

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 23:57:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:38:21PM +0000, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 11:49 +1000, Christopher Curran wrote:
>
> > You keep talking about content coming from places as if it actually is
> > coming in. Last I looked there were two(2) documents actually being
> > produced: the security guide and the release notes. Perhaps two is many
> > in your world but most people's definition of many is more than that.
>
> There are a number of documents coming in.  I alone have worked on the
> release notes, the installation guide, the software management guide,
> and the user guide in the past few months, along with many of informal
> docs on the wiki.
>
> It may not compare to the number of docs you juggle in your <dayjob/>,
> but that doesn't mean we're not working, as your post implies.

I'm actually surprised at Christopher's assessment of the situation.
Is it disingenuous?  He works in Red Hat's Content Services group, I
assumed he was aware of the ongoing work from that group to fully open
content that has been only on redhat.com to date.

https://fedorahosted.org/securityguide/
https://fedorahosted.org/selinuxguide/
https://fedorahosted.org/deploymentguide/

We also have these active guides or longer documents:

https://fedorahosted.org/install-guide/
https://fedorahosted.org/release-notes/
https://fedorahosted.org/translation-quick-start-guide/
https://fedorahosted.org/userguide/

These shorter documents make up part of the 'fedora-release-notes'
package:

https://fedorahosted.org/about-fedora/
https://fedorahosted.org/readme/
https://fedorahosted.org/readme-burning-isos/
https://fedorahosted.org/readme-live-image/

I haven't added up the number of pages, but it's more than nothing.
Consider that all but the first items from Red Hat were developed
entirely in the community.

When Red Hat Linux split and became RHEL and Fedora, all of the code
went in to Fedora for developement.  Zero content from Red Hat's
documentation store went in to Fedora.  Everything has been developed
from scratch.  This was all done by teams of people who are all
inactive; only Paul W. Frields and I remain active in Docs of the
people who started here before ... Fedora 8?  (Sorry if I exclude
anyone there, I'm not thinking about this clearly, but you get the
idea.)

Christopher, I ask you to take a serious reassessment of the situation
if you intend to continue commenting on it.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41