Help button in Fedora

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 12:49:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 07:10 -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> Yelp is basically a document display application.  It has the great
> advantage of being very bright about localization.  We currently display the
> release notes and "About Fedora" in yelp.
>
> Unfortunately, yelp is a Gnome application, and the KDE crowd dislikes it.
> There is a KDE analog, but it seems to be abused rather than used.  There is
> so much junk in it that it is impossible to find anything, and what is there
> seems to be mostly useless. Much of what you describe in the Ubuntu help is
> in the Fedora User's Guide, which will probably be getting a higher profile
> now that it is up to date.
>
> Personally, I like yelp and would like to see it used more effectively.
> But for the practical reason of trying to be desktop neutral, I would expect
> our use of yelp to decline rather than increase.

If you ask me, that so called 'desktop neutrality' is exactly what makes
the Fedora offerings in this area so much inferior to Ubuntu.

What Andrew was asking for is to make the Help button show useful
task-oriented documentation. In the default installation, that Help
button brings up Yelp. So, if you want your documents to be found by the
majority of users that need them, this is exactly where they should be:
Behind the help button, in yelp.