RPM Guide and RPM Max

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Fri Jul 10 12:05:08 UTC 2009

At FUDcon, Florian Festi approached me about Docs updating the RPM Guide and
the book, Maximum RPM, both of which have gotten a little stale.  The RPM
Guide was already on our radar, and Ben Cotton has taken point on getting
that ready to be worked on.

Maximum RPM is currently hosted at rpm.org, and does not appear to have been
built with the old doc tools.  There seem to be some specific dependencies
on Fedora 8, so there will be a little work converting it to something more
up to date.

The other issue, though, is licensing.  This probably won't be difficult to
deal with but it is something that needs to be addressed.  The current
copyright holder is Red Hat.

We will probably discuss this at an upcoming Docs Team meeting, but I did
want to give everyone a heads-up that this is going on. We may also want to
carry on some discussion on an rpm.org mailing list so that community is
also aware of the effort.

At this point not much has actually happened.  Ben has moved the RPM Guide
to git, but I don't think anything else has happened there, I have looked at
the Maximum RPM sources and verified Florian's assessment that this isn't a
straightforward build, and quaid is aware of the licensing issues.

The RPM Guide is at:
git.fedoraproject.org/rpmguide.git

Maximum RPM is at
rpm.org/git/max-rpm.git