RPM Guide and RPM Max

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:12:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 08:05:08AM -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> At FUDcon, Florian Festi approached me about Docs updating the RPM Guide
> and the book, Maximum RPM, both of which have gotten a little stale.  The
> RPM Guide was already on our radar, and Ben Cotton has taken point on
> getting that ready to be worked on.
>
> Maximum RPM is currently hosted at rpm.org, and does not appear to have
> been built with the old doc tools.  There seem to be some specific
> dependencies on Fedora 8, so there will be a little work converting it to
> something more up to date.
>
> The other issue, though, is licensing.  This probably won't be difficult
> to deal with but it is something that needs to be addressed.  The current
> copyright holder is Red Hat.

Do we need to update both, or is it sufficient to get all coverage
into the new RPM Guide, and make that our focus?

As for licensing:

* Maximum RPM is under OPL + exception (no paper publication without
express permission).  It has one author, Ed Bailey, and the copyright
is owned by Red Hat, probably making re-licensing easy.  (We ask, and
Legal approves, maybe following a discussion, likely brief and simple,
with Red Hat Content Services.)

* RPM Guide is under OPL with no exceptions.  It has a single author,
Eric Foster-Johnson, whom we'd need to ask to relicense the material.

> We will probably discuss this at an upcoming Docs Team meeting, but I did
> want to give everyone a heads-up that this is going on. We may also want
> to carry on some discussion on an rpm.org mailing list so that community
> is also aware of the effort.
>
> At this point not much has actually happened.  Ben has moved the RPM Guide
> to git, but I don't think anything else has happened there, I have looked
> at the Maximum RPM sources and verified Florian's assessment that this
> isn't a straightforward build, and quaid is aware of the licensing issues.
>
> The RPM Guide is at:
> git.fedoraproject.org/rpmguide.git

Did you make this into a git repo using the instructions provided on
the wiki?  There's a one line log, which looks wrong to me.  Since
we're just starting out, I would recommend you blow away this git repo
and replace it with a fresh one, done by following these instructions:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Importing_Docs_CVS_modules_to_git