Help button in Fedora

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Wed Jul 8 11:10:51 UTC 2009

Yelp is basically a document display application.  It has the great
advantage of being very bright about localization.  We currently display the
release notes and "About Fedora" in yelp.

Unfortunately, yelp is a Gnome application, and the KDE crowd dislikes it.
There is a KDE analog, but it seems to be abused rather than used.  There is
so much junk in it that it is impossible to find anything, and what is there
seems to be mostly useless. Much of what you describe in the Ubuntu help is
in the Fedora User's Guide, which will probably be getting a higher profile
now that it is up to date.

Personally, I like yelp and would like to see it used more effectively.
But for the practical reason of trying to be desktop neutral, I would expect
our use of yelp to decline rather than increase.

--McD